In North Texas, it seems that we are living under one extreme or another; either we are under drought conditions or seemingly in the middle of a monsoon season. Downpours for days like we have had the last few weeks can throw a wrench in our daily lives, increase the number of accidents on the road, cause dangerous flash flooding, and lead to roof leaks. Lots of rain can also mean the risk of a roof collapse.
What Causes a Roof Collapse?
In many cases, a roof collapse happens when the components of your roof become saturated with rain as a result of an untreated roof leak. When rain permeates your roof and impacts these components, they weaken and fall into your home.
What Are the Signs of an Impending Roof Collapse?
Knowing the indications of a potential roof collapse is critical to prevent injuries or fatalities. Here are seven signs you may have a potential roof problem that could mean a collapse:
1. Water. If you are experiencing a roof leak, this is a sign that you have water pooling between your ceiling and roof. This pooling water puts added weight and stress on your beams, drywall, and insulation, causing sagging or drooping which could lead to a collapse.
2. Signs of Structural Problems. Bends, ripples, or other evidence of stress on your roof supports are an indication that your roof is experiencing a structural dysfunction. If you notice these signs, you need to call a professional roofing company to investigate.
4. Masonry Issues. If you are seeking cracks in your masonry, you may automatically think you have a foundation issue, but your roof could also be responsible for your damage.
5. Interior Cracks or Gaps. There are also signs in your home and business can also indicate that a roof collapse may be imminent. Cracks in your walls or across your ceiling may be evidence of a structural problem caused by your roof.
6. Noise. Do you hear popping, creaking, and cracking? Unless you have a ghost, you probably are experiencing a problem with your roof. Don't call Ghostbusters, call Scott Exteriors instead.
7. Shifting Sprinklers. This one is more noticeable for business owners. If you have sprinklers that have moved out alignment, you need to find out why - and fast.
Don't be caught off guard. If you recognize these signs, take action immediately and schedule an inspection with Scott Exteriors. Call us today at 214-503-7663.